Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Features - Memorial Day

This last month has been pretty difficult with the loss of my brother. But with Memorial Day just around the corner, I am taking this opportunity to remember the good things about my brother and sharing a few of those here with you today :)

My brother was a big outdoors man. He loved hunting and fishing any time he could. He was also a welder and loved working with metal. So this sign reminded me of him right away :)


And I remember the first time I ever caught a bass. I always caught crappie and blue gill, but never bass. I was so excited and my brother thought it was hilarious because it was the smallest bass ever. I made him take my picture and I'm pretty sure it turned out blurry because he was laughing so hard :)

 by dables

My brother also enjoyed camping and building huge fires. He loved to see how big and how hot he could get them :)


My brother had recently gotten into gardening. He could grow the biggest tomatoes I've ever seen! He didn't want gardening season to end last year, so he started growing them in his basement during the winter. He had a lot of naysayers, but he made them grow and he had fresh tomatoes all winter long :)
We've recently found out what a hoarder he was! He believed every piece of "junk" could be made into something new. The minute I found this speaker planter it reminded me of my brother :)


I can't wait to show you the tree we just had planted in my brother's memory and the cool metal signs I designed! Hopefully I'll have those all for you Monday!

21 comments:

  1. I like that fire pit. There's also one with horses that's very likeable as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely treasury tribute to your brother Edi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fire pit is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very lovely tribute to your brother Edi.

    Great outdoor selections and I'm loving that fire pit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear about the lose of your brother. I lost my brother 5 years ago this year so my heart goes out to you and your family. This is a beautiful way to keep your memories of him alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "gone fishing" sign! What a special tribute to your brother! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post in honor of your brother! I am loving that speaker planter. It's awesome. And I love your fishing story. It made me smile!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so touching, and I love hearing about all of the ways you're celebrating his life. I bet he really digs it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to share in the little stories about your brother... love the tomatoes growing in the basement! That speaker planter is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fire pit and planter :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your stories about your brother and I'm sure he'd love your finds! Thinking of you this weekend. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see your signs and memorial garden either!

    Oh my nothing better than home grown tomatoes. I wouldn't have been making fun of him - I'd have made fast friends.

    That Gone Fishing sign would be something my husband would like. With his birthday coming up I'm going to take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet tribute to your brother! The metal fire pit is beautiful. I look forward to seeing the metal signs for the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((hugs and prayers to you!))) What a beautiful tribute to your brother. Looking forward to your tree pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tribute to your brother! Cherish those happy memories.

    Amazing finds! Love the fire pit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post Edi! He had quite the green thumb being able to grow tomatoes in his basement in the winter! I laughed at your fishing story. I fished once off the coast of Maine as a teenager. I was so excited when I caught something and needed help reeling it in. It was a sand shark that looked like a miniature Jaws. That was the first and last time I ever fished!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful memorial post to your brother! Awesome, Edi! He must have been a treasured brother!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tribute to your brother, and a nice remembrance for Memorial Day. I hope you have a very nice weekend.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  19. a true artistic spirit--every piece of junk CAN be turned into something fabulous!
    so great to learn a bit more about your brother.
    love the fishing sign! See that just proves that so called junk can be re-created into something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful post to remember your brother! And how funny to discover the things he kept to make over into something else. You will always wonder what he intended to do with X*@*^!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...