Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Remembering Jim

One year ago today I lost my brother. His passing was the most difficult thing I've ever experienced and not a day goes by that I don't think of him. He's usually the first thing I think about when I get up in the morning and the last thing I think about before I fall asleep at night.
Today I'd like to share some things I've done over the last year to help keep my brother's memory alive.

For starters, today my mom, dad and I will be spending the day doing things Jim enjoyed. We're going mushroom hunting and eating Mexican for supper. Both things that Jim loved doing.

As some of you know, I got my first tattoo in honor of my brother. I love seeing it every day and remembering the good times we had. His favorite song was Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, so my tattoo is a bird design.

And speaking of songs, one way to remember loved ones is through song. I have a "mix tape" that was played at Jim's funeral including the 4 songs played during his service as well as the songs played during visitation. Every time I hear these songs, I think of Jim. And there is a new song by Luke Bryan called Drink a Beer that instantly makes me think of Jim when I hear it.

One of the most thoughtful gifts I received after Jim's passing was a memorial tree from Jesse's family. It is a beautiful blue spruce that sits in our front yard. I see it every time I come in the driveway and every time I look out the kitchen window. It was an incredibly special gift that I am so thankful for!
I also designed a sign to hang out by the tree with the bird design.

Something I knew I wanted to do the minute my brother passed was a get a necklace with his thumbprint. There is a local business (that sells nationwide) called Priceless Prints. They take a mold from clay of your loved one's thumb or finger print and turn it into a sterling silver necklace. I wear it every day!

And it's the daily reminders that keep Jim's memory alive. I have a sticker in the back window of my car of the same bird design as my tattoo. Every time I look in my rear view mirror I see it :) And I have pictures and mementos throughout our house that remind me of Jim every day. I have some of his old hats, plants from his funeral and a photo display I had made him years ago.

While this last year has been incredibly difficult, I choose to look back and remember the good things about my brother. And I hope this post gives you ideas to help you remember your loved ones as well.

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely post and a sweet tribute to your brother. Sounds like he was a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought tears to my eyes, Edi--and I never met your brother. You have some wonderful ways of remembering him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of thoughts and hugs your way today. I'm glad that you're able to spend it with your parents doing things that Jim would have enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remembering you and your struggle today! Praying for your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and special tribute to your brother. Glad your parents are there with you. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your family are in my thoughts, you've done wonderful things to remember your brother in the last year. I love the idea of the thumbprint necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post and beautiful ways to remember your brother each and every day. My thoughts are with you and your family today. I'm glad you're able to spend it with your parents doing the things Jim loved to do. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thumbprint necklace sounds like a fantastic piece. I hope you and your family enjoy your time together today as much as possible. You are such a strong lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anniversaries such as these can be difficult. You've done a wonderful job keeping your brother's memory alive and with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the things you've done to honor and remember your brother are so wonderful. I hope you and your family had a good day remembering all of the good times you had with your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((hugs))) yes... lots of (((hugs))) Glad you and your family could get together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so nice Edi...it is perfect. I wore my shirt today and cried off and on....called Lisa. I still to this day am mad at the "powers that be"...cuz I didnt get to enjoy his company more than I did. I missed out and that makes me sad, but I cant change that now. I enjoy hearing the stories of others that have more stories to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edi - what a beautiful tribute to Jim, and really wonderful how you've chosen to keep his memory with you. I hope you and your parents had a great day and were able to remember some of the wonderful things about your brother

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loss anniversaries are hard, but you have done some wonderful things to preserve the memory of your brother. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's important to find ways to remember loved ones and you've found some very special and unique ways to remember Jim. I'm glad you could spend the day with your parents and I'm keeping you and them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hugs to you. Touching post...doing all these things in memory of your brother is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've done amazing things to be sure you brother's life is remembered--creative and touching! I hope you find some joy, doing the things that brought him joy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so crazy how time flies. One year. I love the memorial tree. And the thumb print necklace is just pure awesomeness. As I was preparing to go to a funeral just the other day, I thought of you. Your shop title...I will be sending you a convo. You've truly kept your brother's memory alive in the greatest way.
    I think you're definitely in the right business...Memories for Life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hugs Edi! You are keeping him alive in your memory...you were lucky to have had him for the time you did. Brothers are special...so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, Edi. My heart hurts for you.
    It's wonderful that you got to spend this day with your parents. I hope it was very special and healing.
    You have very beautiful ways to remember your brother and the treasure he was in your live--and still is!
    lots of hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a special post and I'm sorry I missed it. The ways you're continuing to remember your brother are beautiful Edi. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Edi - all of these are such wonderful positive ideas for remembering a loved one. If there is a heaven he surely is watching you every day, too. Love your car btw! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...