Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Dandelion Earrings

A few weeks ago I posted some Friday Features that included a shop that I purchased a pair of earrings from. While doing my browsing for the blog post, I came across these earrings and just couldn't resist.

Dandelions have become an inside joke for my mom and I. And I'm about to tell you a little story that I'm kind of embarrassed about, but that's just life! I should start of by telling you that I'm very good at math and loved business classes. Science, not so much (as the story will show).

Last spring Jesse and I were discussing that we needed to spray the yard for dandelions. I jokingly told him to just spray the white ones. I liked the yellow ones because they were pretty and added color to the yard :)
I knew he couldn't just spray the white ones since the spray would cover the entire yard. What I did not know was that the yellow and white dandelions are the same thing! Yes, apparently I didn't pay attention to 5th grade science...lol! Jesse proceeded to look at me with a blank stare and explained the dandelion life cycle to me. All this time, I thought there were 2 different kinds of dandelions (there, I said it!)

The best part of the whole embarrassing story is that my mom didn't know this either. This whole episode happened during one of my parents' visits and I asked them where they were during my childhood that no one taught me that "yellow dandelions" turned into "white dandelions"! My mom said "No they don't!". I knew right away why I never knew! And my dad just shook his head and pretended like he didn't know us for the day :)

As embarrassing as it is to not know something so simple for this long, now my mom and I have this special love for dandelions. And we get a good laugh every time we see them :)

Okay, spill it. Make me feel better about sharing this embarrassing story by sharing one of yours in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. What a cute anecdote :) Before I moved to the countryside I didn't know the names of plenty of flowers/plants...
    I know the shop you bought the pretty earrings from :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, it happens to all of us, and usually with things that are so common! Love the earrings, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny! At least your mom was not aware of this either so it explains why. :) I love when they are the white fluffy things. Your dandelion earrings are so sweet and will always make you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha. Actually, I can see my husband not knowing something like that. We had a disagreement once about a year ago because I insisted the art on our wall was a depiction of a mahimahi and he said it was a bull fish. We looked it up and it turns out .... they're different names for the same fish! We both felt sort of silly. Also as an English as second language person, sometimes he says funny things (we've had several confusing episodes because he calls placements doilies and limes lemons!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I know that feeling! I remember back in the day, I was singing along to Elton John's Bennie and the Jets. Instead of electric boots, I sang electric boobs and was so embarrassed when my friend corrected me!
    And by the way, I love the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! That's funny! It never occurred to me that they'd be thought of as two separate kinds of dandelions since they grow in the exact same spot! That's for the giggle though Edi, I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! That is an awesome story and I love the earrings. My brother in law thought chipmunks were baby squirrels up until a few years ago! He didn't realize they were totally different animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great! I'm not having a story come to mind, but I'm sure I have done something like that in the past. I'm always glad when it happens with loved ones and not with a group of people I don't know very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! That's okay, the first time I saw a pork chop on a bone at a restaurant I didn't know what it was. My mom preferred the boneless kind when she cooked them, so that was all I'd ever seen! I was seriously 15 or 16 and had never seen a "real" pork chop before. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...