Monday, October 3, 2011

Accepting Credit Cards at Shows

There are several ways to accept credit cards at shows these days. And they are a great way to open the door to more sales! People like to ration their cash at shows because they usually only bring so much with them to last them the day. When they realize you accept credit cards, they are able to spend more and not wait to by til they have seen everything at the show. So, how do you get started? I first started with a Propay account. And as an Etsy seller, you can get a discount for the annual fee. This service works well, but there are some downfalls. Most shows don't have WIFI, so you have to process the cards when you get home and hope they are approved. You also have to make sure you get all the proper information written down or the card will be declined. I had to learn this the hard way when I got a wrong zip code (and no phone number!). Of course, if you have WIFI on your phone, you can process cards that way. Another downfall (compared to other services) is the fees. Propay charges an annual fee, as well as a fee per transaction. They also charge for their card readers as well. I recently got a smart phone with full internet access. One of the main reasons I wanted this phone is so I could get a Square reader. I have used my reader at two shows now and both times have been a huge success. The reader so easy to use. You just plug it in to the top of your phone, download the app and swipe the card! People sign their name with their finger and you're all done. You can even email them a receipt as well! You also get instant approval with the Square. And the best part...the reader is free and the transaction fees are as low as 2.75%! The one concern I had was that people would not be comfortable with me using my phone to process their card. My concerns immediately went away when I saw how excited people were about the reader! People were fascinated with it and not a single person had a concern :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ So I encourage you to start accepting credit cards at shows if you don't already. It is a great way to increase your sales and your customer service level. And the Square reader is great if you do home shows as well! It is so portable and easy to use...go check it out!

7 comments:

  1. I also started with ProPay and switched to Square. There's really no comparison: Square is 1000% better. Plus, people get really excited when they sign their name with their finger. Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to have payment choices! Unfortunately, it's a little harder here in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ordered my square and it's on the way. Wednesday can't get here fast enough! I'm so glad you had rave reviews for it as well. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology just keeps getting more and more amazing!!! The Square sounds perfect and no need for Propay! 2.75% is an awesome rate. ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need one of those Squares but I guess first I need the smart phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Square looks awesome! I'm so glad that's working for you. Unfortunately there isn't anything like that for Blackberry right now, which is what I have, so I'll be using ProPay again this fall. But I know that we'll keep seeing more of these developments for smart phones. I will jump on the first one I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this information. Accepting credit cards at shows is not something I have ever mastered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...