Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let's Do a Jig

Wanna do a jig with me? No, not the Irish dancing kind! What kind you ask then? One that will make lasering more efficient!!!

~~~~~~

A jig is a template that allows me to laser several objects at once and line them up in the exact same spot each time. This is nice for small objects. They may only take 20 seconds to laser, but then I stand there feeding the laser all day. This way I can be more efficient...and multi-task more :)
This need for a jig came when I bought some new wine bottle stoppers. This style already has the cork attached making them impossible to laser free-standing. I starting by cutting 12 holes in a piece of wood the size of the cork. I then built legs using the left over circles to raise the jig so the corks would be off the table and flat on the board. I thought I was pretty slick for reusing the cut circles :) Until I tried to use the jig and it wouldn't line up in "home position" inside the laser!
As you can see from this photo, there are two rulers on the top and left sides where I line up my work so it is in "home position". By adding the legs, I was only able to eyeball it and hope I was lined up...not good. So I added the second board on the bottom of the jig so I could line it up. Several calculations later...and I had a working jig!
Here you can see the bottle stoppers in the jig from the top and how they hang through on the bottom.
After I created my first jig, I thought of other items a jig would be handy for! I made two more for my magnets and pendants. These jigs started with the same basic concept...cut a bunch of holes in 1" and 1.5" diameters to match the sizes of my items. Since I didn't have to raise this jig off the table...it was super easy.
I just drop the wood blanks in...and out comes several beautiful magnets and pendants :) I love that these jigs allow me to get so much more done!
What have you created lately that makes your work easier?

22 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm glad you got that all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I am so impressed with the work you do. I'll bet you can whip out a bunch with your new jigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat system! I love things that make work easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great! You can get so intricate, people will be amazed at how steady your hand is. At least, I'm dumb enough to not consider what you did! I love the corks! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat! So clever!

    Stopping by from Etsy Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. very clever, Edi! I can imagine that will save you oodles of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there's no stopping you now! I figured out I could use cookie cutters to trace around for templates to use for gift tags and ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nifty, I am always looking for ways to speed things up. Cute corks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOw, that's wonderful Edi! Love that you can get so much done at once. So can you create a jig that will knit multiple projects for me at once??

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever! That will certainly allow you to use your time more efficiently!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome concept! You know that I love things that are time efficient. I'm so glad that you got this worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! More time is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jigs are awesome for making work easier. It is even nicer that your were able to recycle the parts needed for your jig. Your jigs look very cool.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a brilliant idea! You think of everything. :-)

    One thing I'd like is an adjustable nozzle for my jewelry cement. Sometimes it's hard to control the flow for smaller pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! Always great to figure a way to speed up the process and be more efficient!! And bonus to be able to do more multi-tasking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on coming up with a time saving idea! I really like the corks. I have yet to come up with time savers for knitting. Other than getting quicker at knitting the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thinking Edi, and I do love how you reused those circles ~ way to recycle! :) I'm in love with your magnets, they are so super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't really "created" something lately that makes my work easier, I just invent little systems of sewing that allow me to "assembly line" several like projects at once.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great way to speed up what might otherwise be a very tedious job! And I love how you recycled those "waste circles" by using them as feet for your jig. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...