Monday, February 18, 2013

Redesigned Packaging


Last month I blogged about redesigning my magnet packaging so it would fit in a 2" shipping tube for the Umba Box I participated in. This got my brain thinking about how I could redesign it again to be more cost effective.

I used to package my  magnets on metal canning lids. I'd seen the idea somewhere before and thought it was great since the magnets stuck right to the lid. I just slid that in with a paper backer that had my banner and etsy address on it and they worked great. But, the lids can get costly and I like to keep my packaging supplies to a minimum.

After I made the Umba Box magnets, I took that concept paired with my old packaging and made some new packaging. Instead of canning lids, I used repositionable adhesive dots. They're strong enough to hold the magnets in place, but come off easily when you're ready to remove the magnets and use them. I also made the tags a little smaller since they didn't have to accommodate the size of the lid. I was able to buy smaller baggies to put them in and fit 6 tags instead of 4 on a sheet when I printed them.

Just a rough estimate, but I figure I'm saving over a quarter per package of magnets now! It's a small amount, but it can sure add up fast.
Take a look at your current packaging...are there ways you can reduce your costs or improve  your design?

19 comments:

  1. Yes. I've been asking myself the same question lately... making some changes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to cut down on packaging, but wrapping my wares nicely is one of my USPs! I did, however, manage to secure tissue paper at a very good price and since I can halve the sheets they last longer too!
    I love my magnets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your magnet lid packaging Edi, but your new packaging looks very professional and nice too. Cutting down on costs is a good idea as long as it doesn't compromise quality. Recently, I found some smaller mailing bags that fit many of my orders. I used to buy only one size, but this smaller size works great and are less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was up early this morning thinking of packaging! I have been asked to sell my art and creations in a shop so packaging (and the cost of it) has been on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new packaging looks great, and so professional! I've been trying to think of ways to cut down packaging costs too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new packaging! I always love it that when I order something, attention has been paid to the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new packaging.

    I've had a customer request cellophane packaging, so I'm hunting for cellophane bags that are large enough to accommodate oven mitts, hopefully at a reasonable bulk rate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea! With me, I usually use recycled bubble mailers or envelopes for my books and beads. If the label is big enough, or I decorate it, I can cover the address written to me. People don't seem to mind... {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great packaging -- and that flying W's design is amazing! I use white tissue to wrap some of my crochet and also put it at the top of the box in my vintage packaging so that bubble wrap isn't the first thing seen -- I stock up after Christmas and get really good prices! I also buy my thank you note blanks when they are on half-price sale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever Edi! I would like to cut down on packaging costs but don't know what to cut out. It's on my list to look at in May though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats awesome that you were able to figure out a way to save on shipping. I'm always thinking of news ways to ship in pretty packages without raising costs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You go girl! Great idea. Every little bit helps in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your adhesives are a great idea! Having seen them first hand, I can vouch for the fact that they do work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love minimalist packaging that still feels special. I think you'd got that.

    I didn't know you did an UmbaBox? How fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! A quarter a pop can add up really fast. I ship most of my things using the same jewelry box. With the exception of huge things and doormats, most things fit just fine. I have some postage stamp sized stickers from Moo I use to spruce up the box and I usually stamp a nautical design on the outside of the package.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea Edi! Saving that quarter per package will be a big saving sooner then you think. I really like your new packaging.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely great and innovative idea! It's always good to stop and redesign things every now and again :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked your lid packaging--very clever. But your new packaging is great as well.
    (and I love your magnets!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...