Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tomatoes are on their way!

Jesse was a sweetie and brought me home a hanging tomato plant a few weeks ago :) I hate weeding a garden, so we thought this would be the perfect solution. We followed the directions and planted the little seeds in the medium that came with the kit. We then covered the container with plastic to create a greenhouse effect and when the seeds started to sprout, we took off the plastic and here is what we have so far:
Yup...that's a 9x13 metal baking dish! I didn't have anything else to put them in. The taller, more abundant ones are grape tomatoes and the little ones on the other end are the full-size tomatoes.
Here is a picture of what they will look like as soon as we can plant them in the basket. The little ones go on top and the big ones hang from the bottom.
I also planted a big tomato, small tomato, and pepper plant in my garden outside just to be safe. A summer without fresh tomatoes just won't do!
I'll keep you posted on how these turn out. I should be able to move them to the basket in a couple more weeks. For now I just have to keep them watered and in the sun :)

6 comments:

  1. THAT is just too kewl!

    As of yesterday, all but one of my 12 had sprouts. The first to come up look about the same height as your taller ones. Fun & exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how your hanging tomatoes turn out! We saw them growing like that at The Land at Epcot in Disneyworld but haven't tried it ourselves yet. If it works for you, we might just have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at those hanging tomatoes but wasn't ready to try...I'll use you as my guinea pig :)
    let us know how they work

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hanging tomato basket looks great. I'm wondering how you get the tomato plant to hang out the bottom. I'm thinking that hole must be rather large, and that you would have to plant it before the tomato plant itself is very big.
    Do show us how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!As much as I love tomatoes I need to do the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...