Thursday, June 4, 2009

Words of Advice

This past weekend we had a little "excitement"...if that's what you want to call it! Our truck was broken into and my purse and Jesse's wallet were stolen along with all of their contents! It has been quite a mess and not fun at all! I'm pretty sure I've had a permanent headache since Saturday night! But my point of this post isn't to complain or get your sympathy...it is to give you some words of advice. I hope you can learn from our mistakes and not have to experience the same headaches! Words of Advice: 1. Only carry what you really need in your purse/wallet. I don't want to get into too many specifics, but I am the type of person who carries my entire life in my purse. Anything important...that's where it was! And now it's all gone! Really take a look at your purse and think about what you could lose in an instant...do you really want it in your purse? 2. Photo copy the front and back of your credit/debit cards and the like. I had gotten this information in an email a while back and always said I was going to do it...but never did! I was able to find most of the phone numbers I needed, but had to do a lot of searching for the others. If I had photo copied them and saved them somewhere, I would have only had to look one place. 3. Which brings me to my next piece of advice...Know what's in your purse! I'm still not sure if I got everything cancelled that I needed to because I wasn't sure of what all was in there. I knew all of the major cards, but department store cards and such...not real sure! 4. Don't carry your social security card in your wallet! This should go without saying, but obviously there are people out there who still don't know this! Keep it in a safe place and never carry it with you! 5. Know what all your insurance company will cover for theft. We assumed our vehicle insurance company would cover theft of things in our vehicle...wrong. This is a good time to take a look at your policy and ask any questions you may have to your agent. But through all of this...we have looked on the bright side. 1. Our vehicle did get hit in the process, but they didn't break any windows or do any other damage. It could have been worse. 2. They didn't steal the truck. 3. They didn't try and use any of the cards. 4. We now get a better rate of interest on our checking account :) 5. We got fancy new cell phones...and for only .99 each! 6. Live and learn...and I guess this is the most important. I just hope that others can learn from us and not have to learn this horrible lesson first hand! I know this is a long post, but I hope some of you found it helpful. This is a terrible mess that I hope none of you ever have to go through!

5 comments:

  1. Great list...I have one more to share:

    ~Don't leave anything in plain sight. Lock your valuables in your trunk or take them with you. I don't even leave change in plain view anymore. There have been cars broken into with little more than a dollar's worth of change in the cup holder.

    I hope you recover soon from this incident...{{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good advice Edi. I need to copy the front and back of my credit/debit cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! Just sorry you guys had to find out the hard way! :(
    Fancy new phones are always nice though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. great list - reminds me to update my copied cards with any new ones :)

    another thing to consider for crafters that sell...get a rider on your car unsurance to cover merchandise when it's being transported - from theft or accident

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...